Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Chicken pot pie and I don't care!

Enjoy my meal with me! Free cooking lesson for all to enjoy! This recipe is a great way to use up leftover chicken you may have from a previous meal, or even a thanksgiving turkey! (and a HAH to my sister, who decided to go off and live in Australia for 4 months- this is her fave meal! *lol*) Lots of pics! Be forewarned!

Your ingredients- missing from this pic is the chicken (or turkey as I have used), butter and salt and pepper!) I swear I usually have real carrots to peal and everything- but the supermarket was out of regular organic carrots. So I bought baby organic carrots instead. Hey, a carrots a carrot right??


First, chop up some sweet potato, celery, and carrots! I have subbed the yam for a regular potato when I didn't have the yams. Aren't these pictures pretty? Vegetables are so beautiful!




Add veggies to a pot and cover with water and lid. Cook until soft


In a seperate pot, melt 3Tbsp butter


Turn off heat. Add 3.5Tbsp of flour and stir well.


Add 1 cup of half and half (I have subbed for regular milk as well, just doesn't come out as creamy)


Then add 1 cup of chicken broth


Add spices- a couple pinches of thyme, a few shakes of poultry seasonings, salt and pepper.


Turn heat back on. Heat to a boil and let thicken. Turn off and let cool.


Chop up leftover turkey or chicken.


Add some frozen peas to the veggies that are still cooking, cook for a few more minutes until frozen peas are softer.


Put pie crust onto pie plate. Yes I'm a cheater and used a ready made crust. Hey I have 4 kiddos, and it's a chore just trying to get THIS much done!


Drain veggies, add veggies and turkey (or chicken) to your sauce mix. Mix well. Pour into piecrust. Yum!


Put the second pie crust on top. Make a few vent slices. I usually cut a small circle (about the diameter of a shot glass) on top as well, and put a little pat of butter in the middle.)


Bake for approx 30 minutes at 425. Until the top is nicely browned. Voila!! Dinner is done!


What does my toughest critic think?? I think he likes it! Please ignore the paint spots on the wall.. we're trying to decide what color to paint our dining room!


You can alter this recipe to not be so artery clogging. Replace the half and half with fat free half and half. Use earth balance for the butter, a low sodium/fat free chicken broth. Make your own pie crust if you have the time. Add more veggies, subtract the meat for a veggie pie. It's SUPER yummy though!!

Thanks for sitting with me through this edition of "What's for dinner!"

4 comments:

PMH said...

Yumm...you didn't invite me and I didn't go to Australia! I would make this if I had more people.

Unknown said...

karen is in australia for 3 months, not 4 ;-p

that looks yummy. thanks for the step by step. you should do more of these...for real....do some for some of your fav recipes so i can print them out and make them.

i think i may try this CPP now. :-)

Becka said...

No, I am hungry!

Karen said...

Sure. NOW you post the recipe. I see how it is.